Saturday, October 20, 2007

Bourdain!


Last night I encountered one of my favorite celebrity chefs at the Fayetteville Public Library. Anthony Bourdain, author, chef and host of the television show "No Reservations" visited town and I was the "official" photographer for the library. Bourdain was a pretty cool guy. Following a news conference Bourdain was greeted by hordes of "foodies" who just wanted to meet, touch, talk to, hang with and get autographs from their hero.


As you can see I had some pretty stiff competition for photographs.

I like the fact that when Bourdain spoke he didn't use notes, swore like a sailor and drank like a fish. As a matter of fact, I had to make an "official" beer run when the library ran out of Heineken for him to drink.


In all over 500 people showed-up to meet their favorite T.V. personality. This guy came all the way to Fayetteville from Lawrence Kansas, that's about a four and a half hour drive. He was pretty stoked.


The highlight of my night is when I was asked to take Mr. Bourdain, no, Tony, back to his hotel. I did not expect this and I was not really prepared. As I moved all the trash and car crap from the front passenger seat of my car Tony said,
"Wow, kinda looks like Norman Bates' car from Psycho."
I froze... then he said,
"Aahh, it looks just like my apartment back home."
I think he was just exhausted and didn't care what my car looked like, but I doubt his apartment is as gross as my 4-Runner.
Of course, as the "official" photographer, "official" beer-getter and "official" ride-giver-homer, I had Tony sign a book to me.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

You. Lucky. Bastard.

Neemah said...

So did you do all this stuff for him while on assignment for the Morning News? This sounds like a far cry from the "shoot'n scoot".

Anonymous said...

you should have asked him about the time he almost died riding a 4 wheeler on one of his shows. it was crazy.

Z-Man said...

Bourdain was NOT a Morning News shoot, it was a freelance gig, with the emphasis on FREE. The shoot actually cost me money. By the time I took him back to the hotel I had bought four of his books and a six-pack of Heines. I was down about $70.00, but I did reap the rewards of good Karma for the generous donation of my time and talent to the Fayetteville Public Library.
Would I do it again?
Hell yeah!

Anonymous said...

me and court just laughed our ass off at this.!!!



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPAWmS-sm-8