Saturday, February 23, 2008

Planes, Trains and Automobiles!


I am a folk hero.
I just shot Arkansas' 63-58 loss to the Kentucky Wildcats in Lexington.
Soon after the end of the game my mom called me to ask if I was a part of "The Morning News" team they were talking about on the radio.
Sure was!
That's right... we left Arkansas Friday afternoon to come to Lexington to cover the Razorbacks.
Our flight was XNA to O'Hare to Lexington.
The problem was the weather in Kentucky...
So yes, I was on the crew who flew to Chicago only to find out their flight to Lexington was canceled and they would not make the game's tip-off if they took the next available flight the next day.
What would you do?....
We said "We aint skeered of some winter weather," and rented a car.
That's right, six hours of driving through the middle of the night only to arrive in Lexington at six a.m. Saturday, with no luggage, grab five hours of shut-eye and go back to work.
This is the stuff legends are made of folks.


It was a tight game and a tough loss for the team and coach Pelphrey. For those of you who don't know Pelphrey was a Wildcat in college and his jersey hangs from the rafters of the arena.


The best part of the game was before it even began. As Pelphrey took the court the crowd went crazy. Not boos like you would expect from the opposing team's fans but a a standing ovation. They love Pelph here in Kentucky. Even as he left the court at the end of the game fans were still applauding him.

Pretty cool!

Kentucky has some famous fans also...
Ashley Judd???


I DONT THINK SO, but Judd does attend games occasionally.

Eat your heart out Shuperman.

6 comments:

Marc F. Henning said...

the Hogs got hosed. from what i heard the second half free throws were like 2 to 1 in favor of Kentucky. that must've been a pretty big pot of stew cookin' at Rupp Arena. hope you got a bite on your way out.

Mark Buffalo said...

You didn't get to take the company plane? I thought you were a Rock Star? or is that only for football.

Now, I have to cover three state tourneys next week in Dumas, Conway and Jessieville. If I could only get the jet?

I'll be in Conway all day on Wednesday. Holler if you need anything.

MarkZerof@hotmail.com said...

nice pics.....good meeting you !

Andy Shupe said...

Eat my heart out? Me? Man, I got to do the high school indoor track championships...

Did that sound hollow?

Hope you had fun. Glad we got the win.

Z-Man said...

Shupe, "We" did not get the win. The Hogs lost... Oh I forgot your a local yokel Kentuckian.

Melissa said...

you should do a 'behind the game' for this adventure. road trip pictures and everything.