Wednesday, November 26, 2008

$700,000,000,000!


So while I was driving to Little Rock tonight from Fayetteville for Thanksgiving I got thinking. I was thinking "How long will it take our government to print the $700 billion dollars for the bailout?"

After a few well placed clicks of the mouse at my parent's house I think I may have the answer.

According to the "Innerwebs" the United State of America can print 37 million notes a day and the present denominations of our currency in production are $1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100.

So assuming we print the bills seven days a week with no breaks for holidays and weekends...

If we print the "700 billion" in One Dollar bills it would take us 18,919* days or about 52 years.

If we print the "700 billion" in Two Dollar bills it would take us 9,459* days or about 26 years.

If we print the "700 billion" in Five Dollar bills it would take us 3,784* days or about 10 years.

If we print the "700 billion" in Ten Dollar bills it would take us 1,892* days or about 5 years.

If we print the "700 billion" in Twenty Dollar bills it would take us 946* days or about 3 years.

If we print the "700 billion" in Fifty Dollar bills it would take us 378* days or about 1 year.

If we print the "700 billion" in One Hundred Dollar bills it would take us 189* days or about six months.

I vote for the "Benjamins"

*All figures are rounded to the nearest whole number.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy crap this is brillant. This might go viral on the Internets. I'm going to "Digg" it.

Anonymous said...

Wait, how do you "Digg" something?

Anonymous said...

OK, I Digged it or Dugg it or whatever. Let me tell you, participating in that Digging is an arduous process.

Z-Man said...

Today's paper said the bailout "grows by $800 Billion."
I guess I need to recalculate with my numbers at 1500 billion?! Is that even a real number? Is it 1.5 Trillion!?

KEWLARKY said...

Not to worry, Zman. Only a tiny fraction of the US money supply is in the form of printed bills or coin. I forget the exact percentage, but somewhere around 95% of all US money is simply credit created by the banking system.

Since the banks are not exactly crazy about lending money these days, it may be tough to actually get those extra dollars into the system as the geniuses in DC hope.