Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Starcrossed!

For those of you who don’t already know I have been having an affair for the past three or four years.

At first it was a casual thing but the more lunches and dinners I enjoyed the more my love grew.

During the past few months our tryst had become intensified with meetings three, four and sometimes even five times a week.
All this came to an end Monday, December 10, 2007.

When I arrived at work that fateful day I was told to go to a local restaurant to cover an immigration bust. In the back of my mind I knew what was going on but refused to accept it.
Yes, on Monday the Immigration Customs Enforcement (I.C.E.) agency raided my beloved Acambaro Mexican Restaurant and shut her down. It was not only a sad day in Springdale but in all of Northwest Arkansas as they shut down all the Arkansas locations.

Yes, Acambaro was my lover and I am not ashamed to admit it. Near the end of October I pledged to eat and rate every item on their lunch menu. When finished I was going to re-christen the restaurant “Zacambaro”.
Unfortunately I only managed to finish 14 or the 30 items before the raid. I recently learned of two “secret” lunch items. The #31 is “the same as a number one only with a chicken taco instead of beef” and a #32 “Huevos Rancheros”. I guess I shall never know these two.

For anyone still reading here is a copy of the lunch menu complete with my notes on the items eaten.


And here is the final ratings of the 14 items eaten:
***** = 5 Stars
**** = 4 Stars
*** = 3 Stars
** = 2 Stars
* = 1 Star

#3 ***
#5 *
#6 ****
#9 ****
#10 ***** (best meal at the restaurant)
#11 ***
#12 ****
#15 ****
#16 ****
#17 ***
#22 ***
#24 ****
#25 ****
#26 ****

As you can tell I really liked their food.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

dam Z man thats some sad stuff, what about starting a new love affair with La Hutera?

Z-Man said...

Not the same ray, not the same.

Melissa said...

I did let you know a few months ago this was going to happen, remember? When I saw it in the paper this morning, first thoughts turned to you.

Z-Man said...

Yes you did give me a heads-up, but then they busted a different (an also delicious) mexican joint so I figured my love was spared.

Andy Shupe said...

Dude, your colon — and, for that matter, all those anywhere near you colon — are the better for the raid.

Me said...

Five years ago we left NWA and moved to the Northeast part of the state. When we would go back to visit relatives we would always pay a visit to Acambaro because we couldn't find good Mexican food over here. My favorite was Pechugha Monterey (sp?).